We’re going to the seaside, Dad!

Seashore. Now. Whether you think I’m ready or not! – that was Whistler’s attitude a couple of hours ago. If you’ve been following along this blog, or our social media shares at Mark or Lisa’s Facebook or Google+ sites, you’ll know that Whistler has started walking (hopping) all over the immediate neighborhood again. But still, only within about a 1-to-2 block radius. Which also is within Mark’s “I can pretty much carry this 30kg/75 pound dog back home… I think” just in case.

A couple of days ago, he wanted to go all the way to the corner of the big street, down the long block to the main road. We shared those pictures on Facebook, and wow was he grinning! Here’s one of them:

3-legged greyhound dog looking at camera, with trees and grass and a dirt road behind him
Whistler at the wooded area near the bus stop – his first long walk post-surgery

Last night, he did a full round-the-block fast hop.

But today? Went up the street, then left towards the main road, then absolutely insisted on crossing it to the triangular undeveloped lot that has been one of his favorite “business places” but has been out of reach for a few weeks before the surgery, and of course, since. Then, instead of going back – pulled Mark over to the park across the street and further down. Think we were done? No! At the end of the park, already 2 blocks from the house the shortest way back (4 blocks walked already), he insisted on going right, the block and half further to the rambla, the seaside road!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Why did the greyhound cross the road? To see the sea! We walked along the rambla, but didn’t go down the paths to the beach yet. He’s not quite ready for that, plus, it started pouring rain! We then took the longer way back from there up a different side street, past yet another triangular park lot, before hopping the 2 more blocks home.

What a champ!

We’re in that interregnum period – 12 days post-amputation surgery, 5 days after the bandages off, but about a half-week more before the stitches out, and then 2 weeks before the chemotherapy. (Which we still have to figure out costs, affordability, access to treatment, and other logistics, to get it for him.)  So there may be ups and downs yet – but Whistler the happy hoppy hound is back to expanding his world, rather than having it contract on him. Two weeks ago his world had shrunk to two little rooms and a tiny backyard. Now he’s back to (almost) reaching the beach! Thank you to all of your for your interest, words of support, and our deepest gratitude to those who’ve donated to our recovery fund via the secure PayPal donation link here on the site.

Published by

Whistler the Hound

Whistler is the family pet of Mark Mercer and Lisa Marie Mercer. At only 7 years old, he is fighting the terrible and deadly disease, osteosarcoma. That's a fast-growing and painful bone cancer - in his once-strong right front shoulder. We aren't giving up on our greyt doggie, because he isn't giving up on us. Though he started limping badly again, with increased pain medication in early January 2015, he came back to his old normal personality, and began hopping around fine. But the leg will kill him if it doesn't come off, and otherwise he would only have days to at most weeks left. On January 16 2015 he is scheduled for amputation surgery. A difficult race is ahead, with rehab and chemotherapy, with emotional and financial stress. But he's worth it. (Because dogs don't type as well as cats do, posts from "Whistler the Hound" are interpreted by his people, Mark Mercer and Lisa Mercer.)